Cheese & Onion Tart
Ingredients . . .
- 200g shortcrust pastry
- 10g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions , finely sliced
- 1 tbsp plain flour , level
- 200ml milk
- 120g Applewood® Wedge, grated
- 2 eggs, beaten
Method . . .
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C, 170˚C fan, gas mark 5.
- Line a 20cm loose-bottom tin with the pastry and blind-bake.
- Heat the butter and oil in a medium pan and sauté the onions until soft and lightly coloured, about 10 minutes. When the onions are cooked stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute stirring all the time. Gradually incorporate the milk a little at a time, allowing the mixture to thicken before adding more milk. You should eventually have a thin sauce.
- Remove from the heat and add the grated Applewood® Cheese, stir and allow the cheese to melt. When the sauce has cooled sufficiently, beat in the eggs, season and pour the filling into the pastry case.
- Return to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until firm and golden brown.
- Allow to stand for 15-20 minutes before serving.