Classic Cheese and Chive Scones
Ingredients . . .
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried chives
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 55g butter, cubed
- 150g Applewood® Wedge, grated
- 120ml milk, plus extra for brushing
- Smoked paprika, for dusting
Method . . .
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and mustard powder into a food processor.
- Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. If you don’t have a food processor, rub butter into the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl with your fingers.
- Tip the mixture into a mixing bowl. Add the dried chives and 100g of the grated Applewood®. Add most of the milk and using a table knife mix to form a soft dough; adding the remaining milk if required. Bring the mixture together with your hands, but don’t over work it.
- Transfer to a floured surface and roll to 2.5cm thick.
- Use a 6cm pastry cutter to cut five scones. Bring together the surplus dough, re-roll and cut the final scone.
- Place the scones on a lined baking sheet, brush with milk and sprinkle with the remaining Applewood® and dust with smoked paprika.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12-14 minutes until golden and firm.
- Serve warm with butter.