Sticky Bourbon Chicken Wings with a Dirty Cheesy Dip
Ingredients . . .
For the wings:
- 1kg chicken wings
- 75g ketchup
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp bourbon whisky
- 3 tbsp (30g) brown sugar
- 1½ – 2 tbsp hot chilli sauce, according to taste
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp BBQ seasoning
- 25g butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt & pepper
For the dirty Applewood® dip:
- 3 slices cooked smoked bacon (approx. 20g), finely chopped
- 200g light cream cheese
- 75g Applewood® Wedge, grated
- ½ cup (120ml) BBQ sauce
- To serve 3-4 Spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
Method . . .
- Preheat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7.
- Prepare the chicken wings; firstly, remove and discard the wing tips, then cut the wing in two at the joint. Place the prepared wings on a large roasting tray. Pour over a tablespoon of oil and season with salt and pepper, mix well to ensure they are evenly coated and place in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Make the hot wing sauce by combining all the ingredients in a small saucepan and heat until the butter has melted. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- After the 20 minutes pour the hot wing sauce over the chicken wings. Mix well and return to the oven. Reduce the heat to 200C/180C fan/Gas 6 and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Prepare the dirty Applewood® dip by blitzing 3/4 of the bacon with the other sauce ingredients in a food processor, or with a stick blender until well combined, but not completely smooth. Transfer to a small bowl and garnish with the remaining chopped bacon.
- Remove the chicken wings from the oven, turn and mix before returning to the oven for a final 10-15 minutes until cooked, well browned and sticky.
- When cooked, transfer the wings to a serving platter. Garnish with the spring onions and serve immediately with the Applewood® dip and plenty of napkins.